Gynecomastia is the benign enlargement of breasts in men and its causes may be related to hormonal imbalances motivated by medication such as spironolactone (used to treat high blood pressure) and benzodiazepines (psychoactive remedies), liver and thyroid problems.
Gynecomastia surgery is indicated for men over 18 years who have not achieved the desired result with clinical treatment or have psychic discomfort due to gynecomastia.
Local anesthesia and sedation
The incisions made in gynecomastia surgery may vary according to the degree. Generally, the treatment can be performed only with liposuction and therefore two holes are made below each breast, and there may be a third in each armpit. However, if removal of the remaining gland is required at the end of surgery, a “Webster” type incision may be made in the areola through which the small gland is removed. In more advanced cases of dysfunction, other types of incisions may be indicated, such as an inverted “T” or a combined incision in the groove and around the areola.
Length of hospital stay:
Usually, discharge occurs 6 hours after surgery. In rarer cases, the length of stay should be 24 hours.
About one hour.
It is necessary to use incision drains at the surgery site for about three days. In addition, after the surgery, it takes an average of two weeks to return to normal movement.
The patient should wear an elastic vest for about 30 to 45 days in order to improve the skin's adherence to the chest. The vest should be removed only for the bath, which should be done one day after surgery. Physical exercise should be resumed 30 days after removal of the surgical vest and smoking should be avoided for at least 15 days after surgery.
The patient should also take antibiotics in order to avoid infections and analgesic and anti-inflammatory medication, especially if liposuction is performed, which usually has more painful postoperative.
Complications in the gynecomastia procedure are very rare, but it is possible to warn about:
• Occurrence of seromas and bruises;
• Poor healing;
• Change in sensitivity in the operated area;
• Venous thrombosis;
• Anesthetic complications.
The result of gynecomastia, as in all cosmetic surgeries, will depend on the reaction of the patient's body and zeal with pre and postoperative indications.
The patient's lifestyle and care before the operation are decisive factors for every surgical outcome. Check out the most important recommendations:
• Fast for at least 8 hours before surgery, including water, avoiding drinks and overeating on the days before the procedure;
• Smoking should be stopped 30 days before surgery;
• Communicate changes in health and medication use on the eve of surgery;
• Do not wear dark colored nail polish on the day of surgery and avoid wearing jewelry and watches;
• Attend surgery with a companion.
The results of gynecomastia surgery depend on many individual factors, but it is common for the breasts to look satisfactory and to have slight scars. The definitive result can be seen between six months and one year after surgery.
Frequently asked questions
1. Does the augmentation gluteoplasty leave scars?Every surgery leaves scars, some in more visible places, others in more camouflaged places. Fortunately, buttock surgery allows the scar to... Read more
1. Abdominoplasty makes scar visible?The scar resulting from an abdominoplasty (or abdominal dermolipectomy) is located horizontally just above the implantation of the pubic hair (usually in the... Read more
1. Onde se localizam as cicatrizes da blefaroplastia? São visíveis?As pálpebras são a região do corpo em que a pele apresenta a menor espessura. Isso auxilia... Read more
1. What are the scars of breast reduction?There are numerous techniques described for breast reduction and breast lift, each with its advantages, disadvantages and indications. Thus, the shape and... Read more
1. What is liposuction? What is the difference between conventional liposuction and liposculpture?Liposuction is a surgery that aims to reduce the volume of body fat in localized areas, providing... Read more
1. Does rhinoplasty leave scars?Rhinoplasty produces virtually imperceptible scars. Certain noses allow scars to be hidden within the nasal cavity, leaving traces not apparent. In other cases, there... Read more
1.Does breast augmentation leave scars?Every surgery leaves scars on our body, but some are smaller and more hidden. This is the case of breast prosthesis surgery, in which the scars are well hidden... Read more