Mentoplasty is chin plastic surgery and can be to enlarge or reduce this area.
The chin is one of the main reference points in the aesthetic study of the face. Therefore, the ideal chin should observe the positioning within certain aesthetic limits, making a harmonic set together with other sectors, such as the nose, eyes and mouth.
This procedure is rarely requested in the office, as few patients recognize the lack of chin in themselves and often blame the nose for the disharmony of the profile and shape of the face.
The result is the break in the convex profile that most patients with low chin present, the stretching of the region between the chin and neck and the advancement of the lower lip, which allows better closure of the lips.
Local anesthesia and sedation or general anesthesia, depending on the type of the procedure.
Mentoplasty consists of chin augmentation by placing a small silicone implant. Placement is by mouth at the junction of the lower lip and the gum and the implant is positioned over the bone, projecting the soft part of the chin forward to the plane of the upper lip. This way there are no apparent scars.
From 40 minutes to one hour.
Length of hospital stay:
About 6 hours after surgery.
In case of bone augmentation in the augmentation mentoplasty, discharge is on the day after the surgery.
Avoid eating hard or very hot foods and exercising for 21 days. Maintain good mouth hygiene, without touching the scar, using oral antiseptics. Also, do not sleep on your chin and avoid trauma for 2 months.
The stitches are absorbed by the body and the patient remains with a local bandage for about 1 week. Return to work can be immediate.
Some possible complications in the mentoplasty procedure:
• Occurrence of infection, bleeding and bruising;
• chin deformation;
• Sensation of paralysis of the chin muscles;
• Change in implant position;
• Anesthetic problems.
The end result of mentoplasty, as in all cosmetic surgeries, will depend on the reaction of the patient's organism and zeal with pre and postoperative indications.
• Fasting at least 8 hours before surgery, including water, avoiding drinks and overeating on the days preceding the procedure;
• Smoking should be stopped 15 days before surgery;
• Communicate changes in health status on the eve of surgery;
• Do not wear dark colored nail polish on the day of surgery and avoid wearing jewelry and watches;
• Attend surgery with a companion.
After surgery, the change is already evident. The swelling remains in the first month, but the definitive result takes about 6 months.
Frequently asked questions
1. Does the augmentation gluteoplasty leave scars?Every surgery leaves scars, some in more visible places, others in more camouflaged places. Fortunately, buttock surgery allows the scar to... Read more
1. Abdominoplasty makes scar visible?The scar resulting from an abdominoplasty (or abdominal dermolipectomy) is located horizontally just above the implantation of the pubic hair (usually in the... Read more
1. Onde se localizam as cicatrizes da blefaroplastia? São visíveis?As pálpebras são a região do corpo em que a pele apresenta a menor espessura. Isso auxilia... Read more
1. What are the scars of breast reduction?There are numerous techniques described for breast reduction and breast lift, each with its advantages, disadvantages and indications. Thus, the shape and... Read more
1. What is liposuction? What is the difference between conventional liposuction and liposculpture?Liposuction is a surgery that aims to reduce the volume of body fat in localized areas, providing... Read more
1. Does rhinoplasty leave scars?Rhinoplasty produces virtually imperceptible scars. Certain noses allow scars to be hidden within the nasal cavity, leaving traces not apparent. In other cases, there... Read more
1.Does breast augmentation leave scars?Every surgery leaves scars on our body, but some are smaller and more hidden. This is the case of breast prosthesis surgery, in which the scars are well hidden... Read more